Dr Joel Furman, a family physician and the author of the popular “Eat to Live” diet book, is the founder of one of my favorite ‘eating principals’, the GOMBS Diet. I prefer to call the diet ‘eating principals’, because the word diet has such a tarnished connotation in the American language.
Dr Furman says his GOMBS diet is an anti-cancer diet. I say regardless of whether this diet can prevent or cure cancer, it’s a smart regimen to follow for anyone who is looking to improve their overall health using mother nature’s remedy: FOOD!
GOMBS stands for Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries and Seeds. What I like to do each day is make sure I incorporate at least one of these food items into my meal. It’s actually extremely easy, I’ll show you how. But first, let’s talk about the benefits.
Benefits of the Anti-Cancer GOMBS Diet
Besides the obvious statements made by Dr Furman that he believes his GOMBS diet is an anti-cancer lifestyle, there are SO many other reasons why you should consider adding these types of foods to your diet. These types of food (greens, onions, mushrooms, berries and seeds) are highly potent and incredibly rich in anti-oxidants.
Let’s take a look at them one by one:
- Greens – Green vegetables have lots of different nutrients and systems that put a silicone like slippery coating on the inside of your blood vessels. They activate something inside the blood vessel called the Nrf2 mechanism that prevents plaque from binding to blood vessels and accelerates the rate at which fat melts away from the inside of the blood vessel.
- Onions – In The Medical Journal of Clinical Nutrition a large study in Europe showed people who ate onions regularly showed a 60 to 70% reduction in all major cancers. That would be a reduction in prostate cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer just from the higher consumption of onions. When you cut an onion, the gas that is given off creates disulfides and anti-cancer nutrients that are formed.
- Mushrooms – A Recent study published in the international Journal of Cancer showed women who regularly consumed mushrooms are 64% less likely to develop breast cancer. That was about 10 g of mushrooms daily. That same study showed that the women who ate 10 g of mushrooms and simultaneously consumed green tea had 89% less likely to develop breast cancer.
- Beans and Berries – Beans and berries have high cancer preventive antioxidants levels and promotes healthy brain function.
- Seeds – Raw seeds and nuts contain phytochemicals and fats that help reduce inflammation, help reduce cholesterol, and helps the absorption of other important micronutrients. Dr. Fuhrman suggests having nuts as part of your salad or even making a salad dressing from them.
How to Eat Your GOMBS
It’s so simple to add a GOMBS food group to each and every one of your meals. Here are a few tips:
Breakfast: Add ground flax seeds, sliced almonds, crushed walnuts or even flax oil to a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. Adds a great crunch and gives a nice ‘nutty’ flavor. To double up on your GOMBS food groups, pile some blueberries, raspberries or strawberries on as well!
Lunch: Whether you are having a burger (we suggest turkey burgers for less calories/fat/cholesterol) or a tossed salad, you can easily add mushrooms and onions (and if you are having a salad, ask for some spinach leaves mixed in to get your greens. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms to a burger or raw mushrooms and veggies like broccoli and spinach to your salad. You can even sprinkle some raw nuts over your salad to add more protein and texture. Look how many GOMBS foods you just added to your mal!
Dinner: Dinner is perhaps the easiest. At home we follow a pretty simple dinner plan Monday-Thursday and then we allow ourselves to cheat on the weekends. Basically our dinners consist of a protein (chicken, fish, steak or chicken/turkey meatballs) cooked up with onions, mushrooms and a green (usually spinach, broccoli or collard greens). It might sound skimpy, but we load up on the greens, onions and mushrooms and it actually is pretty filling.
***Share Your GOMBS Diet Recipes With Us!
Try adding the GOMBS principals to your daily regimen. Let us know how it goes! Connect with us on Facebook and share your GOMBS diet recipes!